The Mary Hicks Preston Foundation offers grants for:
- Capacity Building – Funding that strengthens an organization so that it may better fulfill its mission
- Capital – Funding for construction or equipment
- Challenge – The Foundation and grant seeker agree on a program or operating goal for the grant seeker to reach; the Foundation rewards successful completion of goal
Mature organizations may be eligible for operating support upon establishing a threshold of core competency. Developing organizations may be eligible upon successful completion of a seed grant and after demonstrating a threshold of competency.
Project / Program
The Foundation awards a grant for a specific initiative or endeavor, not for general operating support.
The Foundation awards a grant to help launch a new project or initiative.
In evaluating proposals, the following will be considered:
- Response to a need in the community
- Building long term capacity in the community
- Creating collaboration between organizations
- Use of an innovative approach or a proposal that acts as a catalyst for meeting future needs
- Geographic scope and population reach
Grants are only available to those in the Phelps, NY area. The Mary Hicks Preston Historical Improvement and Betterment Foundation, Inc. will:
- Make grants to tax-exempt organizations with 501(c)(3) classification from the IRS;
- Make grants to municipalities;
- Make grants to faith-based organizations (please see special note on application);
- Make grants to civic organizations (proposals must be project-based and of a charitable nature, and the organization must have a fiscal agent that is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization)